Are you still in lockdown? We are. Although the world around us is opening up we are keeping to ourselves. But, that doesn’t mean that we are sitting inside and molding to the couch. Here are 8 ways we are getting our hearts pumping:
- Cosmic Kids Yoga: “Your place for yoga, stories, and fun!” Have you seen Jamie around the internet during lockdown? It seems like she is everywhere and I am so glad. We have been using her website for a couple of years pretty much since my middle two started going to school to give my youngest something to do. Jamie tells you a story using yoga moves – “Just copy the moves I do and enjoy the adventure!” Go check her out on YouTube, but also the link above which is her membership site. We believe in supporting artists that provide us with something we love. And, we love Jamie
- Yoga with Adriene: I have been doing yoga with Adriene since last June when I felt like I needed to mix up my exercise routine. I started with the first 30 days of Yoga and by November had completed them all. I have done yoga every day with Adriene since last fall and I absolutely love it. If you haven’t given her a try, you should, at least a couple of videos. Above is her membership site, but she’s also on YouTube.
- Primal Play: I don’t know how I heard about Darryl Edwards and his Animal Moves, but I am so glad I did. At the beginning of lockdown I looked around and noticed that my children were spending a lot of time glued to screens as they worked on their school. I bought Darryl’s Animal Moves book and we started working our way through it. It was hard! But, it was hilarious as we hopped like bunnies, stood like crane’s, complained about bear pose (which really can’t even hold a candle to cat!), and really learned how to crab-walk like a boss. Now we’ve gone through his 8 week program two and a half times and have finally graduated from beginner to intermediate. I can’t believe how strong I have gotten doing animal moves and how much fun we’ve had as a family – we even have a semi weekly Tag game in the backyard! In late June I bought the Junior Animal Moves Deck and once again my kids are back to enjoying the spontaneity of exercise. Last night while we cooked our chicken on the grill we took the 12 minutes and flipped through the deck getting some exercise and plenty of laughs, especially when we drew “Go for Speed” and “Sumo Walk!”
- MUTU: I bought the mutu system program a few years ago and it has changed my life for the better. There is nothing better post-partum than this program. I completed the program last year, but continue to do the core program whenever I feel like I need a little more support.
- Hikes: We love to hike, but we live pretty far from any great hiking spots. Just the thought of having to pack lunch and snacks for six people makes me shy away from it. But, we have gone hiking over the lockdown and have had some great experiences. Later this summer we will be taking a socially distanced vacation and hiking the whole time. I can’t wait!
- Kayaking: A couple of years ago we bought inflatable kayaks for our family. We live close to a major lake, but never really went and took advantage of it. And, with six people it would be a major pain to transport a bunch of rigid kayaks. Enter the Intex Challenger and Intex Explorer, both two seater kayaks. We have been to the lake already this year and have plans to go back this weekend. Yes, it is a pain to inflate the kayaks, but the cost for three was less than the cost of one nice rigid kayak and rack.
- Walking: Yup. I’m not the first to extol the virtues of walking, nor will I be the last. We walk three times a day and more when it isn’t so blazingly hot outside. Since the temperatures soared into the 90s in mid June we haven’t been out and walking as much, but I’m sure we will be back in the fall when mercury drops.
- Landscaping or Gardening: Last week the power company came by to “trim” the lines and were kind enough to dump the mulch. The kids and I spent a day mulching the yard and moving the pile to the driveway. If you want to check exercise off your list, may I suggest moving a mulch pile?